Thursday, March 23, 2017

Henry Edward {Birth Story}



My Precious Son,

You've already been with us for 12 days (previously written) but it feels like we've known you forever.  You've completed our family in the most beautiful way and I honestly cannot remember life before you.  February 23 was a beautiful day and I want to record it so that I'll never forget the details of the day I met my precious son.

Because I stayed at 2cm for a few weeks and had a 'proven pelvis', the doctor set to induce me at 40 weeks + 1 day. I may have waited longer like I did with your sister, but had to consider who would be available to watch your sister while Daddy and I were in the hospital.  Thursday, February 23 would be the perfect date.

We were set to be at the hospital at 5am Thursday morning. Daddy and I left the house around 3:45am to grab breakfast at iHop since we knew the day would be long.  We were amongst some interesting company but it allowed for a lot of laughs between the both of us.  We quickly ate our breakfasts while nervously talking about what the day would hold. If you'd be okay, if you'd have hair, how your sister would react, if labor would go smoothly.  Your Dad is a rock and had no worries, but I just wanted to get to the hospital to get it all started. I wanted needed to know you would be okay.



Just like with your sister, we were the only ones on the floor when we checked into the Labor and Delivery.  We were assigned to a sweet nurse named Jodie who was learning to be an OB nurse.  She was so kind and attentive which put me right at ease. By 6am, the pitocin and first round of penicillin (for strep b) was started. I was still only 2 cm so Dad and I started to walk.

We walked the halls of the floor...Dad pushing my IV cart, me waddling along next to him. Of course your Dad made crazy jokes, trying to make me laugh, and insisted that I touch the wall every time I got to an end of a hallway as if I was in some sort of relay race.  We talked about the crazy number of nurses on staff, how we wished our room was facing Costco, and wondered about how your sister was doing at home with Grandma.

By 9:20, we saw the doctor for the first time.  I was still only 2cm and she broke my water.  This is when things really started to take off.  Dad and I maybe went on one more 15 minute walk, but the contractions started to get quite painful. Once we returned to the room and got everything hooked back up,  I didn't do much talking. Just like with your sister, I would wave my hand at Dad to signal that a contraction was coming and he would rub my lower back as hard as he could while I tried to breathe through it. Everyone says contractions on pitocin are the worst, and I completely agree. They were close together and strong, taking my breath away each time.  Even though I was only 2 cm at the last check, I asked for the epidural.

By 11:00, the epidural was in and I was at 4cm.  The doctor who administered my epidural was amazing (late, but amazing). He was extremely quick and perfectly distracted me through the hard parts. Your daddy wasn't allowed in the room, but the nurse was a true comfort as I prayed for the Lord to help me be still.  Once it was in, the relief was immediate. I was on cloud 9!

Unfortunately, the nurse quickly noticed that with every contraction, your heart rate would drop. She had me switching positions to see where you were happiest.  Although that helped, she was still alarmed. This also happened with your sister, but not as severely.  Thankfully, the doctor was in the room by 1pm and it was time for me to push!

I was given oxygen for a few minutes prior to pushing to help with your heart rate. Then, I gave 3 strong pushes during one contraction and you were out! There was a slight delay as the cord was wrapped around your neck (hence the heart rate dropping), but you were on my chest in no time.  Your Dad and I cried and cried. You were perfect. You were finally here. And we were so so so in love.

After skin to skin, you were taken off my chest to get checked out, then given back to me so I could try to nurse you. Thankfully, you latched on like a champ, but the nurse noticed that you were breathing too quickly.  The neonatologist came in and said it could be because you came out so fast and didn't have time to push the fluids from your lungs, or because you had a respiratory infection from the strep B. I had received 2 doses of antibiotics, but I was still so scared. I knew, however, the best place for you would be on my chest doing skin to skin.  Thanks be to God, this worked! Within an hour or two, you were breathing normally.







Within a few hours, your sister and the rest of the family came to meet you.  When your sister came in, I could barely handle my emotions. To have two perfect babies finally in my arms was completely overwhelming. Eleanor was immediately in love with you and so so kind towards you.  It was a slice of heaven in that hospital room.



I love you so much! I am so grateful God chose me to be your mom!


No comments:

Post a Comment